Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Bye, President Cory Aquino

I am one of the "EDSA babies" - the term they call those who were born in time of the EDSA Revolution in 1986. I am just 3 months old that time. I can still remember seeing her... Cory Aquino wearing yellow together with all the people holding each other - men, women, priests praying, nuns with rosaries - when a military tank came. It was like imprinted in my young mind. I'm 23 years old now and yet it was all clear to me... what all happened that day. It was called the People Power Revolution, the one who threw Marcos out of his throne.

Cory Aquino is the wife of the late Ninoy Aquino, a senator who actively oppose the Marcos government and said "Filipinos are worth dying for..." He was shot at Tarmac Airport (now called, Ninoy Aquino International Airport) the moment the plane he boarded landed. Even though she was just a plain housewife, she accepted it wholeheartedly when people wanted her to run as a Presidential candidate. She did it for us, Filipinos... She fought for our freedom... democracy that Marcos took away from us.

And now, the democracy icon who is known to the whole world passed away... I can't help my tears fall upon hearing the sad news but at the same time, I'm glad that Cory and Ninoy would be reunited in heaven now.

Tita Cory, we love you... all Filipinos mourn for your passing. We're thankful that we have both of you - kababayans who are brave to fight for us. May you be reunited with Ninoy in heaven. Thank you for giving us this freedom we enjoy now. We'll take care of your legacy...

No comments: